1. Moderna said that its Covid-19 vaccine is 93% effective through six months but a booster may be needed before winter. Moderna says it expects to complete its application for FDA approval this month.
2. Portland’s mayor and city manager are now recommending everyone wear masks inside, whether they are vaccinated or not. Yesterday Cumberland moved into the US CDC’s “substantial” transmission zone. County community transmission levels are expected to change daily.
3. South Thomaston is offering $200 for people to get vaccinated. It’s the first community in the state to take on the approach using American Rescue Plan funds. The town’s vaccination rate is at 78 percent.
4. The Maine CDC is investigating 4 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in Bangor. The disease is not spread from person to person. Legionella bacteria are found naturally in freshwater environments. Symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, fever, muscle aches, and headaches.
5. The final weekend of the Olympics is here. A lot of medals are to be awarded in the next three days. The US Men’s basketball team will face France for the gold medal tonight at 10pm. The Women’s team will compete on Sunday for gold.