1. The U.S. tops 14.1 million Covid-19 cases with over 276,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported 2 new deaths and 346 new cases during Thursday’s update. The highest one day increase so far. Maine’s death toll is 220 with 2,601 active cases.
2. Joe Biden said that he will ask Americans to commit to 100 days of wearing masks as one of his first acts as president, stopping just short of the nationwide mandate. Biden also said he asked Dr. Anthony Fauci to stay on in his administration. The president-elect said he’s asked Fauci to be a “chief medical adviser” as well as part of his COVID-19 advisory team.
3. Elected by the state legislature Wednesday, Maine’s next secretary of state, Shenna Bellows, is the first woman to win the job. Bellows says she’d like to implement online voter registration and envisions technological improvements for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
4. First significant snowfall of the season predicted for Maine on Saturday. Heavy snowfall is possible Saturday evening and Saturday night. Some areas could see 6” or more of snow.
5. Thursday was the first night of Christmas Prelude in Kennebunkport. The prelude’s kickoff tree lighting usually draws thousands. This year most of the events are being held virtually through December 13th. For further details on event times and dates, check christmasprelude.com.
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.