1. The latest on Ida… The storm weakened to a tropical storm early this morning as officials planned to start a rescue effort. Officials reported the first death related to the storm. City government said power is knocked out to all of New Orleans. Ida’s 150-mph winds tied it for the fifth-strongest hurricane to ever hit the mainland U.S. Ida hit Louisiana the exact day Hurricane Katrina devastated the state 16 years ago
2. Some volunteers from Maine are headed to Louisiana to help with Hurricane Ida’s impact. The American Red Cross is sending an Emergency Response Vehicle from the local chapter that serves Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
3. Many Maine students are returning to the classroom for the first time in more than a year this week. (Freeport, Kennebunk, York, Sanford – today)
4. Pumpkin Spice everything…including toilet paper! This seasonal toilet paper by Green Meadow Valley is actually real, and it’s available to purchase by the roll on Amazon. The scent, which is formulated with natural essential oils like clove, ginger, and cinnamon, isn’t on the paper itself, but on the cardboard tube inside.
5. Hot Radio Maine’s Cuts For Class is taking place Mon. Aug 30th 10A-6P at Crow’s Nest Barbershop 600 Turner Street Auburn. FREE back to school cuts for students 18 and under. Walk-ins only. First come first serve. Standard cuts while time permits. Made Hot in Maine Dirigo Federal Credit dirigofcu.com.