1. NATO is holding its 31st summit in Brussels, Belgium. President Biden arrived today for his first in-person summit of the alliance after taking office. He will affirm the US’ commitment to NATO. (CNN)
2. On Saturday, the fifth anniversary of the Pulse Nightclub mass shooting, President Biden said he would sign a bill marking the spot as a national memorial. 49 people died, and 53 people were injured at the club. It is the biggest single act of violence ever against LGBTQ people in the U.S. (PEOPLE)
3. The U.S. tops 33.4 million covid-19 cases with more than 599,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported no new deaths and 50 new cases on Sunday keeping Maine’s death toll at 845 with 48 Mainers hospitalized. More than 55.5% of Mainers are fully vaccinated.
4. The mutual insurance company MEMIC bought Brian Boru pub in 2019 and is now seeking city permits to demolish it. It’s not clear what could be next for the property where the iconic Portland building currently stands.
5. The Portland Expo has a new name. It is now the James A. Banks Sr. Exposition Building. In 1981 Banks was part of the building’s advisory board that saved it from demolition and rallied $200,000 for renovations.
Made Hot in Maine by Maine Hardware! Going out on the water this summer? Get your marine supplies at Maine Hardware, in store or online at www.mainehardware.com! Open 7 days, 274 St. John St. Portland!