1. The Bucks boycotted Game 5 of their NBA Playoffs matchup against the Magic on Wednesday over the police shooting of Jacob Blake. All of the league’s Wednesday match-ups were postponed. The WNBA cancelled 3 games scheduled for Wednesday. Several MLB teams including the Milwaukee Brewers boycotted games yesterday. Tennis star Naomi Osaka dropped out of the Western & Southern Open’s semifinals as a sign of protest. Major League Soccer postponed 5 matches as well. NBA TV analyst Kenny Smith walked off the TNT Inside the NBA set Wednesday night. “I think the biggest thing now as a Black man, as a former player, I think it’s best for me to support the players and just not be here tonight,” he said.
2. Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old who allegedly shot and killed two protestors in Wisconsin on Tuesday, has been arrested and charged with first-degree homicide. Video shows protestors trying to subdue Rittenhouse, but police passed right by him despite the crowd yelling that he was the shooter. Another clip shows Rittenhouse and some friends being thanked by cops, although it’s unclear if it was filmed before or after the shooting.
3. Speakers at night 3 of the Republican National Convention aggressively defended law enforcement, as racial unrest swept the nation. Vice President Mike Pence argued that Democrats are allowing lawlessness.
4. The U.S. tops 5.8 million coronavirus cases with over 179,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported one new death and 21 new cases on Wednesday. Maine’s death toll is 132 w/ 439 active cases. There are now 85 cases connected to the Millinocket Big Moose Inn wedding that happened nearly three weeks ago.
5. The MPA’s Sports Medicine Committee recommended that all high school fall sports, including football, be played with certain modifications to health and safety guidelines for each individual sport. The MPA’s Interscholastic Management Committee will vote on these recommendations this afternoon.
Made Hot by Partners Bank, making banking easier with their vast 24/7 banking options, including mobile wallet, and telephone banking. Member FDIC