1. Vice President Mike Pence and California Sen. Kamala Harris met for the vice presidential debate in Salt Lake City last night. A fly landed on Pence’s head and sat there for a solid two minutes and stole the show. Amid concerns of President Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis, the second presidential debate scheduled for Oct. 15 will be virtual. (NEWS CENTER)
2. The U.S. tops 7.5 million Coronavirus cases w/ over 211,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported no new deaths and 39 additional cases on Tuesday. The statewide death toll remains 142 w/ 582 active cases. (WMTW)
3. People 21 and older can legally buy marijuana in Maine starting tomorrow. (NEWS CENTER)
4. A $240 million commitment by the Harold Alfond Foundation to the University of Maine System marks the largest gift to a public institution of higher education in New England history. The funding will be used to transform academic collaborations and facilities, provide resources to faculty, support student success, and accelerate workforce and economic opportunities for Maine. (WMTW)
5. Democrats are using unusual campaign signs to try to link Republican Sen. Susan Collins with President Donald Trump. The Maine Democratic Party has begun posting campaign-style “Trump/Collins” signs across the state. Trump’s name is on top and Collins’ is underneath. At the bottom is: “Paid for by the Maine Democratic Party.” (WMTW)
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.