1. On Monday evening, the House of Representatives voted to increase the direct payments in the coronavirus relief package from $600 to $2,000. The Senate will now vote on the measure.(JERRY NEWS)
2. The U.S. tops 19.3 million Covid-19 cases with over 334,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported 3 new covid related deaths and 439 new cases on Sunday. Maine’s death toll is 326. 181 Mainers are currently hospitalized w/ covid-19. (WMTW)
3. Maine CDC Director Dr. Shah says he expects COVID numbers to continue spiking in the coming weeks. This comes after millions of Americans traveled to visit family and friends over the holidays, and there’s still New Year’s Eve this week, which could lead to further spread of the virus. (WGME)
4. The number of crimes reported has decreased the eighth consecutive year in Maine, even though violent crimes grew 3.1%, the state’s Department of Safety reported Monday. Burglaries, robberies, and auto thefts were down. But there were some notable exceptions. Arson and reports of sexual assaults grew by 15%. (WGME)
5. Still Need To Do Day – Before 2020 wraps up, what’s on your to do list?
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.