1. The federal government recognized President-elect Joe Biden as the “apparent winner” of the Nov. 3 election, formally starting the transition of power. Trump still refused to concede and vowed to continue to fight but he did tweet that he was directing his team to cooperate on the transition.
2. The U.S. tops 12.4 million Covid-19 cases with over 257,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported one new death and 185 new cases on Monday. Maine’s death toll is 177 with 2,381 active cases. For the first time, there are more than 100 people hospitalized right now with coronavirus in Maine.
3. The Attorney General’s Office is warning the public to wear a mask or face charges. Failure to comply with the governor’s executive order is a Class E crime punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and a jail term up to six months. There are certain exceptions for people who have a disability which prevents them from wearing a face covering. Businesses are required to enforce this.
4. The United States Coast Guard is searching for four people after a Portland-based fishing vessel sank early Monday morning. The search is underway about 20 miles northeast of Provincetown, MA, for the 82-foot boat named Emmy Rose.
5. Our 8th annual Thanksgiving turkey give-away is today! Starting at 11am we’ll be giving away $2,200 in free turkeys on a first come, first serve basis at Great East Butcher Company located at 450 Payne Road in Scarborough. There is no cost, no catch, and no strings attached to receive a free turkey for Thanksgiving. COVID-19 precautions will be in place including mandatory mask wearing. “We’re proud to be able to hold this give-away for the 8thstraight year. We know that particularly 2020 has been a tough year for many Mainers and we’re hopeful that a free turkey for Thanksgiving can offer some assistance for their holiday.”
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.