1. Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, 27, was found unconscious in his room at the team’s hotel and was pronounced dead at the scene when paramedics arrived on Monday. Multiple people who were hanging out with him the day before said that there were no obvious signs anything was wrong. The team was shocked by the news and postponed their game Monday against the Texas Rangers to yesterday, which they ended up winning 9 to 4. A cause of death is not yet known, but officials say there were no obvious signs of suicide or foul play and the medical examiner is currently investigating. (TMZ)
2. Maine Medical Center has stopped using live animals in its emergency medicine residency training, just as a national nonprofit group was about to file a complaint about the practice with the federal Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. The hospital’s use of live animals, in this case pigs, in emergency medicine training violated the Animal Welfare Act. Maine Med was one of only 12 emergency medicine residency programs in the U.S. and Canada that used live animals. The animals were used to help train emergency medicine residents how to perform life-saving procedures, but the hospital will now use simulation-based technology. (Portland Press Herald)
3. The Maine Turnpike Authority says it expects more drivers on the road this holiday compared to last year. The heaviest traffic will be on Friday between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. The MTA says they expect there to be more than 700,000 transactions along the Maine Turnpike between Friday and Saturday alone. They also anticipate there to be a 1.3% increase in traffic this Fourth of July. (WGME)
4. A Berlin, New Hampshire family had an unexpected visitor show up in their home on Monday. When Jessica and Eric Cunningham returned to their home, they found a bear cub hanging out in their kitchen. The couple had left the door open as they were working on remodeling their home and they believe the bear smelled their takeout lunch. They did manage to scare the cub out of the house but in case the bear does come back, the New Hampshire Fish and Game conservation officers told the family a trap filled with doughnuts and vanilla extract will be waiting for it. (WMTW)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com