1. Gov. Paul LePage predicts Maine will soon lose as many as 1,500 jobs. “This summer, we’re going to lose between 1,200 and 1,500 more jobs,” LePage said at a town hall event Tuesday night. Earlier this month, the Republican governor predicted a 900-job loss. (WMTW)
2. Some Snapchat users are complaining the app’s latest feature is offensive or downright racist. The photo-sharing app on Wednesday added a new face-alerting filter meant to make users look like late reggae legend Bob Marley. The filter adds a Marley-style cap, dreadlocks — and darkens users’ skin tone. Some say it’s digital blackface. (Time)
3. ESPN announced that it has fired network analyst and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling following his comments on Facebook about transgender people. This week, Schilling reposted an image of an overweight man wearing a long blond wig and revealing women’s clothing. It included the phrase: “Let him in! To the restroom with your daughter or else you’re a narrow minded, judgmental, unloving, racist bigot who needs to die!!!” (PH)
4. The Treasury Department announced Wednesday that women will be incorporated into new designs for the $5, $10 and $20 bills. Most notably Harriet Tubman will be featured on the front of the $20. (NYTimes)
5. Today is High Five Day. This day is best celebrated by offering a “High Five” to everyone that you see.
5 Things You Need To Know is Made Hot In Maine by Kaplan University, preparing students for their careers, and connecting you with employers.