1. Maine lawmakers are considering cracking down on service animal representation. Maine Legislature has formed a task force to study service animal issues. Service animals can be lifesavers for people who actually need their assistance. The concern is people misrepresenting their untrained pets resulting in a distraction for on duty service animals. (NECN)
2. Starbucks customers are not happy about the new rewards program. The company announced Monday that starting in April, customers will no longer receive one point or “star” per visit. Instead, patrons will receive two stars for each dollar spent. It will now take regulars who spend $2 on a cup of coffee longer to reach “gold” status. The change does however benefit those that spend at least $5 per visit. See how the new program breaks down here. (WMTW)
3. Us. Sen. Susan Collins broke ranks with Republican leaders yesterday, telling CNN that President Obama’s nominee to fill a vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court should be given a hearing. (PH)
4. TripAdvisor has released its 2016 Travelers’ Choice awards, naming Ogunquit Beach in York County as one of the top 25 beaches in America to Visit. Ogonquit Beach ranks 15th ahead of Newport Beach in California and Fort Meyers Beach in Florida. Check out the full list here. (PH)
5. NASA released a time-lapse video showing a year in the life of the sun. The footage shows the sun in extreme ultraviolet, a wavelength that human eyes normally cannot see. The video is hypnotic. Throw on some yoga pants and throw on this video and get to work! (HP)
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!