1. President Trump on Thursday night sought to reassure his supporters about the state of the U.S. economy in New Hampshire, a state that he hopes to capture in 2020. The rally was interrupted about a half an hour in by a handful of protesters near the rafters of the arena. As the protesters were being led out, a Trump supporter wearing a “Trump 2020” shirt near them began enthusiastically shaking his fist in a sign of support for the president. But Trump mistook him for one of the protesters and said to the crowd: “That guy’s got a serious weight problem. Go home. Start exercising. Get him out of here, please.” (Press Herald)
2. Asylum seekers have left the Portland Expo. This summer, nearly 450 asylum seekers from Africa arrived in Portland and only 26 had to move into the Portland family shelter. Thursday afternoon, seven more families moved into apartments in Brunswick, and host families took in another seven African families. (WGME)
3. The 27th annual Great Falls Balloon Festival kicks off Friday morning in Lewiston. It’s going on all weekend long with balloon launches around 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. all three days. They’re offering rides, and tethered rides. There will also be other activities, like music, food, and craft vendors. The balloon launches each day will be weather permitting.The festival is one of the largest events in the area and a key fundraiser for a number of nonprofit and community groups. (WGME)
4. Officials say a Florida woman who pulled a small alligator from her yoga pants during a traffic stop and illegally possessed numerous other wild animals has been sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to four charges. The driver, 22-year-old driver Michael Clemons, told the deputy he and his 25-year-old passenger were collecting frogs and snakes under an overpass. He gave the deputy permission to search bags in the truck. When the deputy found 41 3-stripe turtles in a “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle” backpack, he asked if they had anything else. She pulled the 1-foot (0.3-meter) gator from her pants. Officials say the Clemons case is pending. (WGME)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)