1. The impeachment trial of President Trump opened with quiet ceremony Thursday – senators standing at their desks to swear an oath of “impartial justice”, House prosecutors formally reciting the charges and Chief Justice John Roberts presiding. Eventual acquittal is expected in the Republican-controlled Senate. (PRESS HERALD)
2. Waterville’s fire chief said it was “completely unacceptable” that a firefighter appeared to make a hand gesture associated with white power in a department photo. It was removed it from Facebook on Thursday evening after the BDN asked about hand gesture — an “OK” sign that has been listed as a symbol of hate. (WGME)
3. Carlos Beltran has stepped down as manager of the New York Mets after being implicated in the Houston Astros’ sign-stealing scandal. Beltran was a veteran player for the Astros. He is the third manager to lose his job on account of the scandal. A Twitter account that claims to be the written by the niece of Beltran alleges Astros stars Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman used buzzing devices on their uniforms to steal signs, including in the 2019 playoffs. (NY TIMES)
4. Skowhegan is looking for suggestions for a new mascot. The Skowhegan School Board voted to retire the “Indians” mascot last year. They were the last school in the state to get rid of its Native American mascot. Suggestion forms are available for pick up at town offices and schools throughout the district. (WGME)
5. As of 7AM Monday Hot 1047 is now Hot Radio Maine. In addition to the new branding and broadcasting to southern Maine on 104.7, we can now be heard on 100.3 FM in Lewiston/Auburn and Brunswick and 102.9 FM in the Bangor/Brewer metro. (HOT RADIO MAINE)
5 Things You Need To Know is Made Hot in Maine by Key Ford of York! You need to know the best deals are at Key Ford!