1. Maine drug overdose deaths continue to decline, falling to 14%. The Maine Attorney General’s Office reported 74 fatal drug overdoses through March, down from 86 for the same period last year. Despite the drop-off, the state should still be concerned about the opioid crisis and the increase in deaths caused by drugs. (Press Herald)
2. Portland police are looking for the driver in a hit-and-run that seriously injured a skateboarder. Wayne Harwood of Portland was riding his skateboard Wednesday night when he was hit by a passing car. Harwood, 25, suffered serious injuries and is being treated at Maine Medical Center. Police are asking anyone with information about the crash to call them. (Press Herald)
3. Peter Alley is “a little overwhelmed” after winning $500,000 in the Maine State Lottery, his second large lottery winning in less than two years. The odds of winning that award money are 137,143 to 1. Alley also won a $100,000 prize from the lotto in December 2017. The good luck may stem from good karma. In 2006, he was recognized by The Carnegie Hero Fund Commission for saving a man from a burning truck that led him to receive a medal and a $4,000 grant. (Press Herald)
4. The 37th annual Moxie Fest kicks off today at 4pm in Lisbon Falls starting with a Moxie recipe contest and a concert at night. During the weekend there will be a petting zoo, car show, and other family activities. The festival lasts for three days to honor the unique Maine concoction. (WGME)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)