1. Maine is a step closer to being one of only four states that will force families to vaccinate children, even if parents object. The bill is now on its way to the governor’s desk, after a close vote in the senate. Governor Mills has already said she supports removing the philosophical and religious exemptions for vaccines. (WGME)
2. The Maine Turnpike Authority (MTA) says nearly 1 million vehicles are expected to travel the turnpike today through Monday. The MTA says while construction will stop during the holiday weekend, there are still areas where the turnpike will have lane shifts or will drop down to one lane, which may cause delays and slow traffic. The heaviest traffic northbound on the turnpike is expected Friday between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. The heaviest southbound traffic is expected on Monday. (WGME)
3. Sobriety checkpoints are underway in York County as a reminder to drive safe ahead of the Memorial Day weekend. The sheriff says he wants the checkpoints publicized to remind people of the dangers of driving under the influence as we head into the holiday weekend. The checkpoints are pretty quick, typically lasting about 30 seconds, unless officers suspect something is off. The sheriff says it will be a successful night if they manage to not pull any drivers under the influence. (WGME)
4. Monday is Memorial Day. Observed annually on the last Monday in May, this federal holiday is for remembering and honoring those who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It’s been practiced in the U.S. in various forms since the end of the Civil War.
5. Hot 104.7 & SIS Bank Present Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon w/ Jay Sean at Bernie’s Beach Bar in Hampton Beach on Saturday, June 15th. Tickets on Sale Now