1. The number of people applying early to The University of Maine for the 2016 fall semester is so high the school had to create a waiting list. According to university officials, it has been a long time since there’s been a school-wide wait list. UMaine has received more than 14,000 applications for the 2016 fall semester. That’s about 2,000 more than last year. (WCSH6)
2. The killer whales currently in SeaWorld’s care will be the last of the mammals enclosed at the water parks, according to a company announcement. “SeaWorld is finding new ways to continue to deliver on our purpose to inspire all our guest to take action to protect wild animals and wild places.” SeaWorld has come under pressure for its treatment of killer whales since the 2013 CNN documentary “Blackfish.” (FJDN)
3. As spring arrives in Maine, so will snow, the weather service says A ‘classic potential Nor’easter’ that’s still forming will likely bring snow late Sunday – the first day of spring. (PH)
4. At an event in New York Wednesday, Nike unveiled its first generation of the self lacing shoe, the HyperAdapt 1.0. As you step into the shoe —and press a “+” button, the laces tighten. The shoes are battery operated. They’re expected out by the holiday season, but Nike hasn’t announced pricing yet. (FJDN)
5. Awkward Moments Day. This day is meant to celebrate all of life’s awkward moments.