1. Bill Russell, the NBA great who anchored a Boston Celtics dynasty that won 11 championships and marched for civil rights with Martin Luther King Jr., died Sunday at the age of 88. His career has also included a Presidential Medal of Freedom and induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
2. Maine’s seven community colleges have seen an 11 percent increase in summer applications compared to this time last year. Maine students can attend community college for free under a new state program.
3. Gas prices have declined for seven straight weeks. According to AAA, average gas prices in Maine have fallen about 7 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $4.57 a gallon as of today. The cheapest gas station in Maine, which is Panda Market in Buxton, is priced at $3.99 a gallon.
4. The average cost of flower or bud in Maine’s adult-use cannabis market has decreased by over 41 percent in the last two years. When the adult-use market launched in October 2020, the average price per gram for flower was $15.83. A gram of flower is now at $9.26 per gram.
5. The chase for the second-largest Mega Millions jackpot has ended with a single ticket sold in the Chicago area for the whole $1.337 billion. The jackpot was the nation’s third-largest lottery prize.