1. James Pearson, 82 years old of Scarborough, was in his front yard yesterday when he was randomly attacked and murdered. Police have not identified the suspect who remains on the run. They are asking residents in the area to be extra aware of their surroundings and report any unusual activities. (WGME)
2. Maine’s Susan Collins and Angus King are among senators who sent a letter to Patricia Espinosa, executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The senators wrote that failing to address climate change “will wreak damages on all Americans for centuries into the future.” (NEWS CENTER MAINE)
3. Customers might have to shell out more money for scallops in 2020. The New England Fishery Management Council predicts that new rules for the 2020-21 fishing season will yield a reduction of more than 10 million pounds of scallops. (WGME)
4. The footage of the Cincinnati Bengals sideline taken by a freelance videographer working for the Patriots was aired by Fox Sports on Sunday. In the video, a member of the Bengal’s security team can be heard questioning the videographer. On the field, the Patriots defeated the Bengals 34-13 to clinch a playoff spot. (ESPN)
5. Thousands of mysterious objects that looked like severed penises or uncooked sausages washed up on a California beach on December 6. In reality, these phallic creatures are called innkeeper worms–or “penis fish.” The 10-inch worms live underwater and burrow in the sand, but a storm whipped them out of the ocean creating a viral sensation. (NY POST)
5 Things You Need to Know is made hot by Key Ford of York! You need to know about their employee pricing all this month!