1. The government has been partially shutdown for 27 days now. There was no scheduled meetings between the White House and congressional staff scheduled through the weekend. However, Portland restaurant, Lazzari, was offering free pizza to federal workers over the weekend. Workers had to present a valid state-issued I.D. or recent pay stub. (WGME)
2. More than 32,000 Los Angeles teachers and staff members will walk off the job Monday in the country’s second-biggest school district. That means about 600,000 kids will have no idea when they’ll see their teachers again. Despite the expected absences of 32,000 teachers and staff, classes will continue at all schools. About 600,000 students could be taught by more than 2,000 reassigned administrators and about 400 substitute teachers, the school district said. (CNN)
3. Three school districts across Maine say they’ve received reports of students diagnosed with whooping cough. The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed one case at Harrison Middle School in Yarmouth and two other cases at Edward Little High School in Auburn. Parents were alerted Thursday to a third case in the Falmouth school system. Whooping cough is a highly contagious disease that causes violent coughing and can result in death for young children infected with the disease. (WMTW)
4. The New England Patriots will face the Kansas City Chiefs in their eighth straight AFC Championship game next week after routing the Los Angeles Chargers 41-28 at Gillette Stadium on Sunday. Sony Michel ran for 129 yards and had three touchdowns. (SI)
5. Dress Up Your Pet Day. This day offers the opportunity to wow the neighbors, and to unleash the inner diva of your favorite pooch or Persian.
Made Hot in Maine by Saco Family Dentistry! Accepting new patients AND Maine Care with little-to-no wait time! Call or text 799-1414 to schedule great care for your family, at Saco Family Dentistry, Main St in Saco!