1. Governor Mills signed a bill into law making Maine a ‘hands-free’ state behind the wheel. In 90 days, Maine will establish rules similar to New Hampshire, that prevent people from holding and using their cellphones or other mobile devices while driving. Law enforcement agencies and transportation safety officials strongly supported the bill. A person who violates the law commits will be fined not less than $50 for the first offense and not less than $250 for a second or subsequent offense may be adjudged. News Center Maine
2. Starting today visitors will have to pay to park at Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth—home to the famous Portland Head Light. If you are not a resident, it will cost $2 an hour or $10 a day to park in new premium parking spots between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. A season pass is $15. News Center Maine
3. An hour before NBA free agency officially opened on Sunday, the biggest domino fell for Brooklyn. The Nets are expected to sign former MVP Kevin Durant, all-star Kyrie Irving and former defensive player of the year DeAndre Jordan, according to ESPN’s Wojo. WGME
4. With lower gas prices, AAA said it expects a record-breaking 41 million drivers to travel nationwide this holiday. The national average of $2.66 a gallon is also now the average in Maine. That is down about 16-cents from last year at this time. Around Maine’s busiest gateway at the York tolls, officials are asking drivers to be aware of construction zones in the area. The worst times to travel will be on Wednesday night and mid-day Friday. News Center Maine
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)