1. President Trump is “furious” about the low turnout at Saturday’s Tulsa rally. Only 6,200 people showed up to the venue, which holds over 19,000. Trump election head Brad Parscale blamed “fake news” for scaring people. “I think I sold that same place out in five minutes,” the singer Pink posted on Twitter.
2. Eight Minnesota correctional officers filed a discrimination lawsuit claiming they were forbidden from guarding—or even being on the same floor as—Derek Chauvin, the former police officer who has been charged with killing George Floyd, because they were not white. A supervisor told them that they would be a potential “liability” around Chauvin because of their race. One of the affected officers pointed out that white officers had never been told they couldn’t guard someone.
3. The United States coronavirus cases top 2.2 million. The country’s death toll stands at nearly 120,000. Nearly half of US states are reporting a rise in cases. The Maine CDC on Sunday reported 19 new cases of the coronavirus. There were no deaths over the weekend. Maine has now had 2,957 total cases since the beginning of the pandemic, of which 464 are active. The state has seen 102 deaths.
4. Maine now has the nation’s largest racial disparity in coronavirus cases. As of Saturday, Black residents accounted for at least 713 of the 2,578 COVID-19 cases in Maine where the race of the individual is known – a staggering 27.7 percent of cases – despite the fact that Black residents represent just 1.4 percent of the state’s population. One out of every 27 Black residents has tested positive for COVID-19. For white residents, that figure is one case for every 725 people.
5. Thousands of Bath Iron Works workers are on strike. Picket lines formed outside the shipyard early this morning as their previous contract ended at midnight. They say they’re not happy because they’ve had attacks on seniority and the company is planning to hire out-of-state contractors.
Made Hot by Partners Bank, making banking easier with their vast 24/7 banking options, including mobile wallet, and telephone banking. Member FDIC