1. Former Vice President Joe Biden won the South Carolina primary on Saturday. “We have the option of winning big or losing big. That’s the choice,” Biden said after his victory. After a third-place finish, billionaire Tom Steyer pulled out of the race. On Sunday, Pete Buttigieg also suspended his campaign. Buttigieg told supporters the decision was “the right thing to do” so the Democratic Party could pick “the right kind of nominee.” (NY TIMES)
2. The University of Maine System is cancelling a study abroad program in Italy. The students must leave Italy by next Tuesday. The chancellor of the UMaine System says they are also trying to bring back two students who are currently studying in South Korea. (WGME)
3. Edward Little edged out Thornton for the Class AA boys basketball crown. Austin Brown’s 3-pointer with 25 seconds remaining lifted the Red Eddies to a 54-53 victory. Thornton Academy had three shots in the final 12 seconds that did not drop. Oxford Hills won back-to-back Class AA girls basketball championships defeating SoPo 49-38. (PRESS HERALD)
4. McDonald’s will be giving away free Egg McMuffins all day long today in honor of the sandwich’s 50th anniversary. To get your freebie, you need to download the McDonald’s mobile app and redeem the offer between 6-10:30 a.m. Then just walk into a Mickey D’s and request your free Egg McMuffin anytime today. The fast-food franchise has also declared that Monday, March 2, is National Egg McMuffin Day. (PEOPLE)
5. Hot 1047 is now Hot Radio Maine. In addition to the new branding and broadcasting to southern Maine on 104.7, we can now be heard on 100.3 FM in Lewiston/Auburn and Brunswick and 102.9 FM in the Bangor/Brewer metro.