1. The United States coronavirus cases top 1,158,000. America’s death toll stands at more than 67,000. More than half of all states will be partially reopened by the end of the week. President Trump has raised his estimates of the possible Covid-19 death toll in the country, saying between 80,000 and 90,000 people could die as a result of the pandemic. (CNN)
2. The Maine CDC on Sunday reported 33 new cases of the coronavirus and one death, raising the statewide totals to 1,185 confirmed cases and 57 deaths. There were 422 active cases on Sunday, an increase of 15 active cases over the past day. (PRESS HERALD)
3. On Twitter President Donald Trump weighed in on Maine’s path to reopen. In response to a post discussing the Sunday River Brewing restaurant owner, who reopened to dine-in customers despite statewide orders against it, Trump tweeted – “Many complaints coming in about Maine. I love that State, won Maine 2 – Don’t make the cure worse than the problem itself. That can happen, you know!” (WGME)
4. Starting May 11, town officials in OOB say the beach will be open to walkers only. The town manager says they came up with the plan because they don’t want large groups of people to descend on their town as the weather gets warmer. (WGME)
5. Star Wars Day. The Star Wars universe is celebrated today. May the “fourth” be with you; consider a marathon of the films or try dressing up as one of the characters.