1. The 2020 presidential campaign is coming to Portland today. Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg will hold an event at the State Theater in Portland. President Donald Trump made a stop in New Hampshire last week, but Buttiegieg is the first to make a stop in Maine. The 37-year-old is one of 24 well-known Democrats running for the nomination to face President Trump. (WGME)
2. Portland police arrested a city man following an attempted break-in at the Maine Historical Society early Wednesday and say he may be charged with other recent burglaries of businesses in and around the downtown. Police have stepped up patrols as they investigate the burglary of 15 businesses – including the historical society – since July 28. Investigators say the burglaries have been reported in the same geographical area of the city. (Press Herald)
3. After 31 years, Silly’s Restaurant in Portland will close. Silly’s owner writes that she doesn’t fit in anymore at ‘the new hipster artisan Washington Avenue,’ and wants to focus on taking care of her father. Silly’s owner Colleen Kelley announced Wednesday on Facebook that the restaurant would be shutting its doors for good Sept. 1. (NewsCenterMaine)
4. New statistics released by Maine’s poison control center show a steady increase in parents calling about children accidentally ingesting marijuana. According to the Northern New England Poison Control Center, since recreational marijuana was legalized in 2016, they’ve seen a 160% increase in related calls. According to the poison center, most of calls they receive are related to marijuana edibles. (WGME)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 is 9 DAYS AWAY!!! Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now – Get them HERE!
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com