1. Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones testified Wednesday that he now understands he was irresponsible to declare the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre a hoax, and he now believes it was “100% real. This came on the final day of testimony in a defamation lawsuit against him and his media company, Free Speech Systems.
2. It’s going to be hot today! The combo of heat and humidity will make some spots in Maine feel like 100 degrees. The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for parts of Maine, including interior York and Cumberland counties, from noon to 8 p.m.
3. A tufted puffin was spotted in June and July in Washington County then again on Seal Island National Wildlife Refuge about 21 miles off the coast of Rockland. These birds are typically found in northern California, Alaska, Russia, and Japan. Bird enthusiasts’ minds are blown. What’s it doing in Maine?!
4. Tortilla Flat, a family-owned Tex-Mex restaurant that opened in Portland in 1978, closed permanently Sunday. “Eventually all good things come to an end, it was just time … The owner and family look forward to enjoying their time together,” a message said.
5. ESPN 8 – The Ocho will return for 24 hours on Friday. The concept was originally featured in 2004’s Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. The Ocho was the strange offshoot that showed lesser sports. On August 5th, a full day of events will be aired, including Dodgeball, Axe Throwing, Pogo Stick Jumping, Wiffle Ball, Kickball, and Cornhole.