1. During an address to the nation, President Trump put Vice President Mike Pence in charge of the American response to the coronavirus. “Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low,” Trump said. A staffer for National Institutes for Health said that a vaccine was at least a year away. (NBC)
2. Twelve Maine chefs, restaurants, bakers and bars were named semifinalists Wednesday for a prestigious James Beard Award, the annual awards that recognize excellence in the restaurant and food publishing industry. Eight chefs were nominated in the Best Chef: Northeast category including two from the Palace Diner in Biddeford. Fore Street in Portland is a semifinalist for the eighth time in the Outstanding Restaurant category. The finalists will be announced on March 25 and winners will be announced on May 4. (PRESS HERALD)
3. A man in Cape Elizabeth celebrated his 107th birthday Wednesday. Seth White was born in New Hampshire in 1913. He got a Model T when he was in his early teens, and delivered mail before he was allowed to drive. (WGME)
4. With an extra 24 hours to enjoy on Leap Day later this week, Miller Lite is giving away free 24 packs of beer. They will post a QR code on its Instagram and Twitter pages this Saturday that will send customers to a website where they can get their beer for free. (NBC)
5. Hot 1047 is now Hot Radio Maine. In addition to the new branding and broadcasting to southern Maine on 104.7, we can now be heard on 100.3 FM in Lewiston/Auburn and Brunswick and 102.9 FM in the Bangor/Brewer metro.