1. The siege by supporters of an Iranian-backed militia at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad ended Wednesday after the militia ordered them to withdraw, bringing relief to the diplomats trapped inside and averting a potential showdown between the United States and Iran. (PRESS HERALD)
2. Portland ticketed and towed 101 vehicles off city streets on New Year’s Eve night because of the storm. Portland’s parking ban took effect at 10 p.m. but the city didn’t start enforcing the ban in the downtown area until 2 a.m. (WGME)
3. A 35 year old Maine man drew a samurai sword on another man during a fight and cut the victim’s arm. Police were called to a high school parking lot in Millinocket on Sunday where they found the injured man. (PRESS HERALD)
4. City officials are considering smoothing some of Wharf Street’s rough edges. In the coming weeks, they’ll meet with local business owners to discuss options for rebuilding Wharf Street and Dana Street. (PRESS HERALD)
5. Playoffs! Saturday, January 4: No. 6 Tennessee Titans (9-7) at No. 3 New England Patriots (12-4), 8:15 p.m. ET (CBS) (YARD BARKER)
5 Things You Need to Know is made hot by Key Ford of York! You need to know about their employee pricing all this month!