1. President Donald Trump took his attacks against four Democratic congresswomen on the road Wednesday night to a campaign rally in Greenville, North Carolina. “They never have anything good to say. That’s why I say, ‘Hey if you don’t like it, let ‘em leave, let ‘em leave,’” he said about “the squad.” Trump also falsely accused Democratic Rep. Omar of supporting al Qaeda, prompting supporters to chant, “Send her back! Send her back!” It was Trump’s first 2020 campaign event in North Carolina, where he defeated Hillary Clinton in 2016. (AP News)
2. Former Boston Red Sox infielder Elijah “Pumpsie” Green, the first black player on the last major league team to field one, has died at 85. The team said Green died Wednesday at a hospital near Oakland, CA. Red Sox owner John Henry said “He paved the way for the many great Sox players of color who followed. For that, we all owe Pumpsie a debt of gratitude.” The team observed a moment of silence before its game against the Toronto Blue Jays. (ESPN)
3. The heat index could reach dangerous highs on Saturday. While Saturday’s high temperatures will be in the 90s for most of Maine, the humidity will make it feel well over 100 degrees. Because of these high temperatures, our bodies struggle to cool down in the humidity, making it dangerous to be in direct sunlight and taking part in outdoor activities. It is advised that Mainers stay well hydrated, pay attention to the elderly, kids, and pets, stay out of direct sunlight, and sit in air conditioning when possible. (WGME)
4. If you’re wondering why your social media feed is being flooded by photos of wrinkle-enhanced celebrities and old friends, thank FaceApp. But, before downloading the app, it is important to know that the company based in Russia can collect your photos, date on websites you visit, and your IP address. FaceApp says it can’t guarantee your data or information is secure and even if you delete content from the app, it can still store and use it, according to its privacy terms. But, the company can share your info with third parties, which is not disclosed in the privacy terms. (Press Herald)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)