1. “They’re doing it as we sit here, and they expect to do it in the next campaign,” Robert Mueller said of the Russians, during roughly six hours of highly anticipated testimony before two House committees about his investigation of Russian election interference and Trump’s possible obstruction of justice. Mueller did not reveal any details beyond his staff’s 448-page report. Some Democrats had hoped his testimony would lead to a fresh groundswell of support to begin impeachment proceedings, but that seemed unlikely in the immediate aftermath of the hearings. (Press Herald)
2. City officials and immigrant community leaders are stepping up efforts to convince dozens of migrant families staying in a temporary shelter to accept housing offers in communities outside of Portland. City Hall Communications Director Jessica Grondin said staff and immigrant leaders are trying to clear up confusion from Mayor Ethan Strimling who suggested to the families that they could turn down housing and not get kicked out of the shelter, a message that contradicts existing policy. The deadline of August 15, due to the closing of the shelter, increases the urgency to find housing for 80 families, totaling over 200 people. (Press Herald)
3. The U.S. Senate finally passed a 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund bill after repeated delays by GOP Senators Rand Paul and Mike Lee. Senators approved the bill with a 97-2 margin, and were met by a chorus of cheers from supporters who’d come to urge its passage. Among those present was Jon Stewart, who has recently lobbied congress to pass the bill and who has been critical of the leaders that dragged out the process. The legislation ensures compensation through 2092 to families of first responders, many of whom suffer from health complications caused by exposure to toxins at Ground Zero. (NY Post)
4. Forever 21 has apologized after including free Atkins bars in shipments to some plus-size customers. “What are you trying to tell me Forever 21?” one customer tweeted after receiving a diet bar in the mail. “I’m FAT, LOSE WEIGHT?” The company says, “The freebie items were included in all online orders, across all sizes and categories,” but adds, “We sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused.” The freebies will reportedly no longer be shipped out. (People)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)