1. American basketball star Brittney Griner testified Wednesday at her drug trial in Russia that she “takes responsibility” for inadvertently bringing cannabis-infused vape cartridges to Russia, but that she did not intend to break the law. Griner faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of transporting drugs. The next hearing in Griner’s trial is expected on August 2nd.
2. Raymond Lester, the Portland man accused of hitting and killing a woman with his SUV in Acadia National Park last month has been brought back to Maine after being arrested in Mexico. In the affidavit, witnesses say “Ray” was drinking vodka and appeared to be drunk with slurred speech. He is being held at the Hancock County Jail.
3. After more than 60 years, Sprite is retiring its green plastic bottles. Coca-Cola said Wednesday it’s changing the packaging from green to clear plastic beginning August 1 as part of broader efforts to become more environmentally responsible. Sprite’s current plastic contains PET, an additive that can’t be recycled into new bottles.
4. Twitter is testing a new status feature that allows you to add a status topic from a predetermined list to your Tweets, providing more context for your followers. Some examples include, dropping a hot Tweet thread, sharing your shower thoughts, or having a bad case of the Mondays.
5. Hot Radio Maine and Innox Entertainment Present Afrobeats Night Friday July 29th at Aura in Portland. Making the trip from Lagos to Maine… Pheelz will be in the building, hosting and performing his hit single “Finesse.” This is a 21+ event. Doors open at 9pm. $20 cover at the door.