1. New strains of the coronavirus (Omicron BA.4 and BA.4) are driving up COVID case counts around the world. Maine reported a small drop in the COVID-19 patient count Wednesday after a week of steady increases. Maine’s CDC reported a total of 128 hospitalized patients.
2. Seventy-four seals have been found dead along the Maine coast since May. That’s three times higher than average for this time of year. Scientists are now linking some of those deaths to bird flu.
3. The city of Bangor announced that the Dakin Pool is set to reopen on July 12. The pool’s reopening comes after a necessary closure confirmed in late June due to lifeguard shortages — a small reflection of a state-wide problem.
4. South Berwick resident Heather Brown achieved a lifelong goal and will appear on “Jeopardy!” tonight! The pre-recorded episode airs at 7:30 p.m on ABC.
5. Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon is on July 21st at Bernie’s Beach Bar on Hampton Beach. Tickets on sale now – Ticketmaster / HotRadioMaine.Com