1. White people are now more likely to die from the coronavirus than Black people. The virus attacks unvaccinated adults with a ferocity that puts them at a much higher risk of infection and death. Polls show Republicans are more likely to be unvaccinated.
2. Lawmakers are taking DHHS to court. The Government Oversight Committee voted Wednesday 8-1 to move forward with a lawsuit to force DHHS to respond to a subpoena. They’re looking for documents and details about each case for the deaths of four children in 2021.
3. Maine Turnpike exit 45 that connects traffic with the Maine Mall will be closed this weekend to allow crews to demolish and remove the old toll booths just east of the new turnpike interchange. The off ramps will be closed beginning at 9 a.m. Friday and won’t reopen until Monday at 6 a.m.
4. Portland restaurant Hugo’s, which has been closed since the start of the pandemic, won’t reopen for fine dining. The owners “can’t say for sure what this space will become next,” but it will host private parties and events in the meantime.
5. The AriZona Iced Tea chairman and founder said that the company has no plans on raising the price of their classic 23-ounce drink and would keep the can to $1 for “for as long as we can.”