1. Hurricane Ian made landfall Wednesday afternoon in southwest Florida as one of the most powerful storms ever recorded in the U.S. Nearly 2.5 million homes and businesses were without electricity. Florida has requested a federal Major Disaster Declaration for all 67 of the state’s counties.
2. New York Yankee, Aaron Judge, hit his 61st home run of the season to tie Roger Maris for the most single-season home runs in AL history last night. A Blue Jays fan just missed snagging the ball. Experts have estimated the ball to be worth $150,000 — on the low end. Others have estimated that it would fetch between $250,000 and $400,000 on the auction block.
3. The Maine Turnpike will close Exit 45, the exit used to access the Maine Mall, from Friday, Sept. 30, through Monday, Oct. 3. The closure will allow contractors to put the finishing touches on a new diamond-shaped interchange that is part of the plan of widening the highway from four lanes to six.
4. Riverside Lavender Farm in Steep Falls says their dog, Charlotte, gave birth to eight Great Pyrenees puppies on Tuesday and one of them came out green. The color will fade over time. It is incredibly rare and happens less than once every 10,000 births.
5. National Coffee Day – Not to be confused with International Coffee Day, which happens later this week. Dunkin’ Perks members can get a free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase. Aroma Joe’s is also celebrating with a free 16-ounce hot or iced coffee for all guests or free up to 24-ounce hot or iced coffee for their AJ’s Rewards members.