1. President Trump mistakenly stated Monday that one of this weekend’s two mass shootings took place in Toledo, Ohio, instead of Dayton. “We will ensure that those who were attacked will not have died in vain,” Trump said. “May God bless the memory of those who died in Toledo.” At least 29 people died at a Walmart shopping center in El Paso on Saturday and outside a bar in Dayton early Sunday. On Monday, Walmart, one of the nation’s largest sellers of firearms and ammunition, also commented and said it will not stop selling firearms or change its open carry policies, but will continue to support the communities affected by these tragedies. (USA Today) (Portland Press Herald)
2. Portland and the Maine Department of Transportation are hosting a public hearing hoping to hear from residents how they think transportation along Commercial Street could be improved. Topics from driving travel times, to marine operations, to alternative transportation like buses, bikes and pedestrian traffic are expected to be addressed. (WGME)
3. Tom Brady has never known what it’s like to play out the final season of a contract in his 20-year NFL career, and the New England Patriots superstar quarterback isn’t about to find out. Brady, who just turned 42, is signing a two-year, $70 million extension that runs through 2021 and a large raise this season. (WGME)
4. Since Burger King’s Impossible Whoppers are cooked on the same grill as regular burgers, they may wind up with some meat in them. Meanwhile, Tim Hortons and White Castle cook their meatless burgers separately from the real deal. White Castle does this “out of respect for those who are seeking a vegan or vegetarian experience.” PETA thinks the “benefits” of meatless burgers “really override any concerns about cross-contamination.’ (Adage)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com