1. A construction lift being carried on a flatbed trailer hit the bottom of an overpass on the Maine Turnpike in South Portland on Monday. The impact was so great that it halted the truck and folded the flatbed trailer in half, seriously injuring the driver, briefly shutting down all northbound traffic and causing considerable damage to the bridge. It took six tow trucks to pull the truck and equipment free, backing up traffic for hours. (Portland Press Herald)
2. As millions of people take advantage of sales on Amazon’s Prime Day, some employees and activists are using the two-day event to complain about how the company treats workers. Amazon workers in Minnesota and Germany are protesting working conditions and wage practices. Workers began walking out of their shifts and went on strike for a six-hour period to put pressure on Amazon to “provide safe and reliable jobs, [and] increase respect and opportunities for advancement for the predominantly East African workforce.” This year’s Prime Days could bring in as much as $5.8 billion in sales, adding to the company’s value of $991 billion. Currently, it is reported that workers are receiving about $15 an hour, when the federal minimum wage is $7.25. (CNBC)
3. New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft joined bikers from across the country at a memorial this past Saturday for the seven motorcyclists killed in a collision with a truck last month. The Patriots owner has pledged to donate $100,000 to help the victims’ families. The event outside of Gillette Stadium drew in bikers from as far as Louisiana and Arizona that wanted to come and pay their respects. The campaign he has donated to has already raised over $560,000 and Kraft said if they did not reach their goal of $700,000 by the end of the day, he would match the difference. (Portland Press Herald)
4. IHOP has been a go-to breakfast haven for many and has been around for over six decades. In honor of its grand opening back in the ‘50s, the company is offering a pancake deal that you won’t want to miss. Today, IHOP is selling 58-cent short stack pancakes, which means you’ll be able to score three Original Buttermilk pancakes for less than $1. To get the deal, you have to visit your local restaurant between 7 am and 7 pm. (Elite Daily)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com