1. Maine State Police said alcohol and speed are factors in Monday’s crash on I-295 in Bowdoinham involving a car and an ice cream truck. A car driven by 22-year-old Alyx Wharton, of West Gardiner, tried to pass the truck and hit its rear bumper, causing the truck to lose control and flip over. (WGME)
2. There will be a press conference held at the State House at 11 a.m. today to celebrate the “anti-distracted” driver law which takes effect in September. The law will ban drivers from holding cell phones and other electronics behind the wheel. The bill’s sponsor, Senator Bill Diamond says distracted driving is a dangerous growing epidemic on Maine roads and he thanks Governor Mills for signing the bill into law. (WGME)
3. A concert Saturday night in Westbrook generated around 70 complaints about the noise, down significantly from concerts earlier this year at the Rock Row site. The performance of Shinedown, a rock band, prompted about one-third as many noise complaints as previous concerts at the venue this year. The first shows at the Maine Savings Pavilion – one in May and the other in mid-June – drew more than 200 complaints each. The promoter said adjustments were subsequently made to the arrangement of speakers and volume levels to try to minimize the noise. (Portland Press Herald)
4. It’s World UFO Day. It is an awareness day for people to gather together and watch the skies for unidentified flying objects.
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com