1. The pickup truck driver involved in Friday’s deadly Randolph, New Hampshire, motorcycle crash in which seven riders died has been charged with seven counts of negligent homicide, authorities announced Monday. Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, was arrested at about 8 a.m. Monday by Massachusetts State Police at his home on Newbridge Street in West Springfield. (News Center Maine)
2. The city of Portland has received more than $500,000 as of Monday, including a sizable gift from the family foundation of Stephen King, to help the hundreds of asylum seekers who have arrived in Portland in recent weeks. City administrators received on Monday a $40,000 check from the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation. (Portland Press Herald)
3. York officials on Monday placed town beaches under a cautionary advisory after a shark was sighted off Long Sands Beach. A video of the large shark taken by people fishing shows the large animal swimming at the surface near a boat, not far from the popular town beach. The fish was identified as a basking shark. (Portland Press Herald)
4. Italy edged a Swedish group for the right to host the 2026 Winter Olympics. Only two groups of bidders made it to the final round, as bids from five other groups were withdrawn or eliminated. The Summer Olympics come to the states and LA in 2028. (New York Times)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)