1. The scorching hot weather has some school districts closing early and sending students home Wednesday. Many school districts started making the decision to let the students out early Tuesday afternoon. Biddeford schools, Scarborough High School, and Westbrook High School are dismissing early. Full List of Dismissals.(WGME)
2. Governor Paul LePage joins 15 other Republican leaders across the country petitioning the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn an appeals court decision against a funeral home in Michigan that fired a transgender employee. The ruling was based on the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Governor LePage and others argue the Civil Rights Act was intended to prevent discrimination on the basis of sex, not gender identity. (NewsCenterMaine)
3. The Maine Lobster Festival board issued a statement Monday night offering more details about why it sought Taylor Hamlin’s resignation as Sea Goddess. “Eight photographs were received and confirmed via multiple independent sources that illustrate illegal behavior and a pride in that behavior and persona,” the board’s statement said. “Of particular concern was a photograph posted that specifically mentioned the Lobster Festival and coronation along with an inappropriate image. It was posted the night before the coronation (Tuesday, July 31), and after the judges had completed their voting process on Friday, July 27. It is an important distinction: This was not a social media background check; rather, it was a photo posted by Taylor during the event, mentioning the event.” (Press Herald)
4. Moxie ownership is transferring from a New Hampshire Coca-Cola bottler to Coca-Cola itself, the Atlanta-based beverage behemoth. Coca-Cola said in a statement Tuesday that Moxie will continue to be made in Londonderry, New Hampshire, near its market base of northern New England. The formula won’t change and it will still be bottled in northern New England. (Press Herald)
5. 3 DAYS AWAY!! Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Just added King Combs and Caye. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online at Hot1047Maine.com. – bit.ly/hotshowliljon
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army. Offering training in more than 150 different careers. There’s no limit to what you can achieve.