1. President Trump filed a federal lawsuit against California, claiming the state’s new law requiring political candidates to show five years of tax returns before being allowed on the ballot is unconstitutional. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the law last month, which if enforced would require Trump to turn over his taxes or be disqualified from appearing on the GOP primary ballot. Newsom reacted to the lawsuit in a tweet that said, “There’s an easy fix Mr. President – release your tax returns as you promised during the campaign and follow the precedent of every president since 1973.” (CNN)
2. It has been three months since an influx of asylum seekers came to Portland, catching Maine’s largest city off guard. City officials are under pressure. The asylum seekers have to be out of the Expo in nine days and the city is also dealing with cases of chickenpox within the expo. The infected families are being separated within the Expo to try and minimize exposure. The CDC has also made vaccinations, paid for with federal money, available to any asylum seeker who wants one. (News Center Maine)
3. To highlight New Hampshire’s tax-free status and to thank out-of-state customers, the state liquor commission is offering them discounts at its liquor and wine outlet stores. The “No Taxation on Our Libations” sale is providing Maine customers an 11 percent discount, double the state’s sales tax rate. A similar promotion last year drew more than 43,100 customers from 46 states. (WGME)
4. In what has to be one of the most Canadian exploits ever, three cheesemakers recently teamed up in Quebec to set a Guinness World Record by making 6,688 pounds of poutine. One of the cheesemakers told CTV News that it took about 28 hours to prepare all the cheese curds for the poutine. The trio easily beat the previous 2015 record of 4,409 pounds of poutine. (CTV News)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Ally Brooke, Big Freedia, Lil Tecca, Iyla and a Maine Made Showcase. Tickets on Sale Now – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com