1. During Tuesday’s State of the Union address, President Donald Trump announced that he is the reason that the United States and North Korea aren’t at war. “If I had not been elected President of the United States, we would right now, in my opinion, be in a major war with North Korea,” he announced. USA Today reports that Trump also shared that he will meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam on February 27 and 28 as part of “a bold new diplomacy.” The summit comes less than a year after the two held a historic meeting in Singapore. (USAToday)
2. Tuesday Portland reported a high temperature of 62 degrees around 4 p.m. That smashed the previous record high of 51 degrees in 2005. Augusta also experienced an unusually warm day, with the high temperature reaching 55 degrees, breaking the previous high of 48 degrees in 2006. (PressHerald)
3. The Maine Mammoths will not play in the National Arena League in 2019. The team, owned by National Sports Ventures, the corporation that also owns the NAL’s Carolina Cobras, was put up for sale in November. An announcement on the team’s website Tuesday said the team will take a hiatus for 2019 so a local owner can be found. Refunds to season-ticket holders will be processed, according to the announcement. (PressHerald)
4. An estimated 1.5 million fans took over downtown Boston on Tuesday to celebrate the New England Patriots Super Bowl LIII win. The parade was marked by chants of “We want seven!” and “Next year, right here!” A dozen people were arrested during the celebration. (ESPN)
5. National Girls and Women in Sports Day. Celebrated on the first Wednesday in February, this day recognizes the progress made by the Title IX amendment passed in 1972.
Made Hot in Maine by EZ Advocates! Looking to cancel your timeshare? Call 536 6956 to speak w/ a knowledgeable consumer advocate about your timeshare cancellation options.
EMMY® & Murrow Award-winning Chief Producer at WGME | “The Tom Brady of News”, Runner up in the portland phoenix’s best of portland 2018 twitter personality. Cousin to Frank The Barber @Newsprojoe