1. The 76-year-old man charged with stabbing a woman to death in Lewiston had a murder conviction and nearly 40-year pattern of attacking women, but eight years ago a judge in Portland said Albert L. Flick soon would be too old to pose a threat to society, ignoring warnings to the contrary. At a 2010 hearing, Superior Court Justice Robert E. Crowley sentenced Flick to nearly four years in prison. But Crowley disregarded arguments by Flick’s probation officer and a prosecutor who said Flick should serve an additional four to five years because his extremely violent behavior showed no signs of abating, court records show. “At some point Mr. Flick is going to age out of his capacity to engage in this conduct, and incarcerating him beyond the time that he ages out doesn’t seem to me to make good sense from a criminological or fiscal perspective,” Crowley said, noting that Flick would be 72 or 73 when he would be released in 2014. (PressHerald)
2. Portland is one of seven places selected for a pilot project to test new software that maps out local traffic rules and restrictions for autonomous vehicles. There are no self-driving vehicle companies operating in Portland yet, but officials hope inclusion in the pilot program will give the city a leg up in attracting those companies. (PressHerald)
3. Travel + Leisure magazine readers have determined that two New England islands are among the best in the United States. As part of T+L‘s annual World’s Best Awards, the publication released its list of the top 10 islands in the continental U.S. on Tuesday. Once again, South Carolina’s Hilton Head came out the winner. The top-ranked New England island was Maine’s Mount Desert Island at No. 4, dropping from its No. 3 spot in last year’s World’s Best Awards. Nantucket, the other New England island on the list, ranked No. 8, falling from its No. 2 spot in 2017. Last year, three New England islands made the list — Martha’s Vineyard didn’t make the cut in 2018.
Mount Desert Island, home to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, is the largest island off the coast of Maine. Acadia’s 1,530-foot Cadillac Mountain is the highest peak on the North Atlantic seaboard. Bar Harbor, Mount Desert Island’s largest community, offers restaurants, galleries, shopping, and outdoor adventures that include hiking, biking, and boating. (Boston)
4. A new study published Tuesday in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) suggests heavy internet use increases ADHD symptoms in teens. When researchers surveyed high-school students, they found that those who engaged in 14 different digital-media activities multiple times a day had increased odds of developing ADHD symptoms. The activities included checking social-media sites, texting, online chatting, and posting one’s own photos, videos, blogs, or status updates. According to the study, the risk of developing ADHD grew by 11 percent with each additional media activity. (Mashable)
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or online HERE