1. A meeting Tuesday intended to update city councilors on efforts to house over 200 migrant families staying in a basketball gym erupted into a shouting match, including a threat to censure the mayor for allegedly spreading misinformation. Last week, the state opened General Assistance to the asylum seekers, creating more housing options for the families. But many are refusing to accept housing outside of Portland, even though the state would help pay the rent and buy other necessities. (Portland Press Herald)
2. Sen. Elizabeth Warren introduced a bill Tuesday that would forgive the student debt of tens of millions of Americans. Under the legislation, all 45 million Americans with student debt would see at least a portion of their balance greatly reduced. Three-quarters of borrowers would have all their loans scrubbed. Warren first proposed her plan in April, but the legislation – dubbed the Student Loan Debt Relief Act – offers new details on how the Massachusetts senator would dismantle the country’s outstanding student debt tab, soon expected to exceed $2 trillion. (CNBC)
3. After six years working in art departments on movies including “Iron Man 2”, Auburn native Breanna Wing wanted to be in front of the camera. Quentin Tarantino gave her a shot. Wing plays “Cheyenne the hippie hitchhiker” in Tarantino’s new film, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”, a part for which she did not even audition. The movie’s cast includes Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Al Pacino, and Kurt Russell. It marks Wing’s feature film debut and she attended the premiere and her first red carpet at the TCL Chinese Theatre earlier this week. (Portland Press Herald)
4. National Tequila Day starts before 5 o’clock today! At bars and restaurants across the country, it’s an all-day celebration that includes deals on margaritas, America’s most common tequila-based cocktail, and specials on shots. To check which locations are offering deals, you can look on social media for deals posted by various chain and local restaurants. (USA Today)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com