1. The South Portland City Council voted Tuesday night to support Portland and the asylum seekers arriving in the city. It was a late night for Portland city councilors but they ultimately decided to help Portland with the influx of asylum seekers. This measure allocates up to $40,000 from the social services budget to the Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project to help the immigrants with legal fees as they apply for asylum. Other actions discussed included searching for potential facilities for emergency shelters and communicating with Portland on exactly what they need. (WGME)
2. Tiffany Ortiz, who is the wife of former Boston Red Sox great David Ortiz, said the ex-slugger’s condition has been upgraded to “good,” according to a statement released by the Red Sox on Tuesday. At least 11 individuals have been arrested in connection to an attack. (WGME)
3. Across the state and country, folks will celebrate Juneteenth on June 19th. The holiday commemorates the day the last community of slaves in the United States were informed of their freedom. Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on September 22, 1862. However, it wasn’t until two and half years later that the end of slavery really took hold. Folks in the Bangor-Brewer area will celebrate at Chamberlain Freedom Park in Brewer for the 14th year in a row. The event will go from noon to 1:30. It is free and open to the public. (News Center Maine)
4. Hotels.com says it will pay someone $10,000 to visit luxury resorts this summer and hang out by their pools. This person must produce Instagram-worthy content to share on social media.The person will visit six U.S. resorts in August, staying two nights at each, with the company covering expenses. Interested parties over age 21 can apply at Hotels.com. (Business Insider)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)