1. Police arrested an Old Orchard Beach man Tuesday and charged him with murder in the slaying of his roommate. Dustan Bentley, 40, was charged with killing William Popplewell, 65, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said in a news release Tuesday night. (PressHerald)
2. A proposal to trade the Columbus Day holiday for a tribute to Native Americans has received initial approval in the Maine House. At least five states have done away with celebrating explorer Christopher Columbus in deference to Native Americans, though the federal Columbus holiday remains. (PressHerald)
3. Florida prosecutors have offered a plea deal to New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and other men charged with paying for illicit sex at a massage parlor. Spokesman Mike Edmondon said the men must concede they would be found guilty, perform 100 hours community service, attend a class on the dangers of prostitution and pay $5,000 per count. Kraft was charged with two counts last month. (PressHerald)
4. It’s maple syrup time: Maine Maple Sunday this weekend. Nearly 100 maple sugar producers will open their doors to the public this weekend for the 36th annual Maine Maple Sunday. (MaineBiz)
5. International Day of Happiness. This day was introduced by the General Assembly of the United Nations during 2012 and aims to educate and increase public awareness of the benefits of happiness.
Made Hot in Maine by EZ Advocates! Is your timeshare selling for $1 on Ebay? Call EZ Advocates! Speak with a knowledgeable consumer advocate about your timeshare cancellation options. 536-6956