1. Yesterday in the New Hampshire primary, Trump won for the Republicans with 35% of the votes and Sanders won for the Democrats with 60% of the votes. The next primaries will be held on February 20th in Nevada and South Carolina.
2. Governor Paul LePage says Donald Trump should give him a stipend or a bonus “for starting this whole thing about being outspoken.” He then referred to a couple of recent remarks saying he had to “scream at the top of my lungs about black dealers” and talk about using the guillotine on drug dealers to get the attention of lawmakers.
3. In South Portland, a group called The Locker Project are making sure students don’t go hungry during February vacation next week. They are a nonprofit that helps stock shelves at food pantries inside Maine schools. 40% of students in South Portland schools receive free or reduced-price lunches and when the school day is done, so are the meals.
4. A closely divided Supreme Court put on hold the Obama administration’s climate change effort aimed at restricting greenhouse gas emissions by power plants. It was not a ruling on the merits of whether the Obama administration has the authority to implement the plan, but rather puts the plan on hold while the litigation proceeds.
5. Target has announced a new, gender neutral home collection for kids. The chain’s new collection does not explicitly define items as “girl” or “boy,” but as “whimsical themes” that “kids can mix and match.” Months ago, Target announced they were moving away from gender-based signage on displays in the toys, bedding and entertainment departments.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!