1. Governor LePage said he would name himself as the state’s commissioner for the Department of Education. This comes just 2 days after LePage temporarily withdrew his nomination of Dr. Bill Beardsley for the position claiming that Democrats were planning to reject him for reasons unrelated to the qualifications for the job.
2. James Pak, the landlord from Biddeford who admitted to killing two of his tenants over a parking dispute in December 2012, has been given two life sentences for the double murder.
3. At last night’s Democratic debate, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders repeatedly brought up President Obama while attacking each other. Things got heated when Clinton accused her rival of not supporting President Obama in the past and comparing him to a Republican. Sanders replied saying, “Madam Secretary, that is a low blow. One of us ran against President Obama. I was not that candidate.”
4. A new study found a strong correlation between education level and dementia risk. Specifically, people with at least a high school education were found to have a lessened risk of developing dementia. The same group of people were also found to be in better cardiovascular health.
5. The Orono field hockey team decided they wanted to help those battling cancer after their friend was diagnosed. They are going to knit caps and donate them to Cancer Care of Maine in Brewer, along with any money they can raise. If you’d like to make a donation, click here for more information!
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!