1. A Florida couple who purchased one of the winning Powerball tickets in January finally came forward yesterday and claimed their prize. Split three ways, each winning ticket is worth roughly $528 million. They opted to take their winnings in one lump sum of $328 million before taxes. The winner from California has still yet to come forward.
2. During a press conference in South Carolina yesterday, Ted Cruz called on Donald Trump to follow through on his lawsuit threat. He presented a cease-and-desist letter his campaign had received from Trump’s lawyer that demanded the Cruz campaign stop playing an ad that says Trump is pro-choice.
3. Deb Roberts, the mother of Michael Holland, who was a crew member from Maine who died on the El Faro, has focused her attention on honoring her son. She has been planning and organizing the “HollandStrong First Annual Fishing Derby,” in which all the proceeds will go to the Holland Strong Community Scholarship. The derby will be on February 27 at Round Pond in Livermore. See details here if you’re interested in entering!
4. 9 Maine restaurants, chefs and brewmasters are on the list of semifinalists for the James Beard Awards, which is considered the most prestigious in the American food world. The Maine representatives include The Honey Paw, Fore Street, and Allagash Brewing Company. See a full list of semifinalists here!
5. Today is National Drink Wine Day! Embrace the positive benefits of wine such as new friends, reduced risk of heart disease and the enhancement of food and life.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!