1. A woman who champions the rights of ISIS victims, Pope Francis, the Afghan women’s cycling team and Donald Trump are among the candidates for the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize.
2. Ben & Jerry’s announced on Wednesday that it will release four non-dairy flavors later this month: Coffee Caramel Fudge, P.B. and Cookies, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, and Chunky Monkey. The vegan pints, which are made with almond milk, will cost about a dollar more than standard pints.
3. Senator Angus King is urging CVS to make an antidote for heroin and other narcotic overdoses available in Maine without a prescription. CVS currently offers the antidote in 14 states. King wrote a letter to their vice president saying it is crucial to provide easier access to the antidote in Maine given the state’s high number of fatal heroin overdoses.
4. The Portland City Council is going to tackle the issue of setting a vision for the Maine State Pier. Officials hope for new revenue from a waterfront asset that lacks tenants after a string of failed proposals. Progress is expected to be made within the next 10 months.
5. Today is Thank a Mailman Day! This day offers you the perfect opportunity to say a polite ‘thank you’ to your postal courier, parcel service, and good old mailman.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!