1. Police are on the search for 2 men who robbed and assaulted the owner at Tom and Jerry’s Car Wash on Main Street in Westbrook shortly before 9pm last night. The robbers tied up the owner, ransacked the car wash, and took off with the cash. No arrests have been made so far.
2. Bridge operator positions are now open on the Casco Bay Bridge. The hirings are being made by a Florida-based company which will take over operation of the bridge on March 1st. No experience is required and the part-time positions pays $12 per hour. The full description of the position can be found on Craigslist.
3. The UMaine Systems are aiming to bring more young people to Maine after the 2015 census revealed that Maine has the oldest average population in the country. In order to increase enrollment at the 7 different colleges within UMaine systems, the board has created different initiatives to appeal to both foreign and local students. These initiatives include more scholarship programs and a program which offers the opportunity for foreign students to both finish high school and matriculate into the university.
4. Gas prices are still plummeting across northern New England. Maine, which saw the biggest drop at nearly 5.4 cents per gallon, has an average price of $1.92. The national average has dropped 17.5 cents per gallon in the last month and is 20 cents per gallon lower than the price a year ago.
5. Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and Martin O’ Malley faced off in a Town Hall last night as they continued vying for voters in the upcoming Iowa caucus. Sanders talked about his plans to raise taxes, expand universal health care coverage and provide free college tuition. Meanwhile, Clinton went after Republican frontrunner Donald Trump and his proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States. She said, “It’s not only shameful and contrary to our values, to say that people of a religion should never come to our country. It’s not only shameful and offensive, it’s dangerous.”
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!