1. With the mass shootings we unfortunately have been seeing and the talk of new controls has triggered Americans to rush to buy guns. Maine requests for sale background checks have soared 26 percent in November and buyers flock to stores as deadly attacks spark interest in personal protection.
2. Big congrats to eighth grade Science teacher at Saco Middle School, Michaela Lamar on winning the “Milken Educator Award,” which just so happens to come with a cash prize of $25,000!! The award is given to only 40 educators across the country each year. The prize recognizes the “unsung heroes” who aren’t very well known beyond their districts. Lamarre is the only teacher to win the prestigious prize in Maine.
3. You may be seeing a higher bill for your TV or Internet in the near future. Time Warner Cable announced a price increase beginning February for some of their services.
4. Crazy story out of Boston! Authorities are trying to figure out how one of the city’s commuter trains took off yesterday morning without a driver, taking 50 passengers on a scary, high-speed joyride before being stopped. The above-ground Red Line train departed Braintree Station around 6 a.m. and sped through four stations before Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority officials stopped it by cutting off power to the electrified third rail. “This train was tampered with, and it was tampered with by somebody who knew what they were doing,” says Governor Charlie Baker. “The big issue is whether this was a negligence issue or something else.”
5. I love Buffalo Wild Wings. And I love Mountain Dew. But the two together? … Buffalo Wild Wings introduced the “Zesty Citrus” chicken wings to its restaurants for a limited time on Monday. The recipe includes Mountain Dew, ginger, soy sauce, lemongrass and red peppers. Um… yum?